Contacting the School
What are the main contact details of the school?
- Hannah Inayat
PA to Headteacher
Forest Gate Community School
- Tel: 020 8534 8666
- Fax: 020 8519 8702
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.forestgate.newham.sch.uk
How do I contact a teacher?
- By email, using the full name of the teacher followed by the school email address:
- Write a note for your child to give to the teacher
- Write a note in your child’s planner to show the teacher
- By phone, leaving a message with the main office
Absence and Punctuality
What do I do if my child is absent from school due to illness or accident?
- Phone the school and select option 1 to leave your child’s full name, tutor group and reason for absence
- Use the Reporting an Absence Form on the school website
- Absences of 3 or more days must be accompanied by a note from a medical professional
What is an ‘absence text’?
- This is sent to you if your child is absent and you have not contacted the school. Please reply promptly to establish your child’s whereabouts.
What do I do if my child has an appointment during school time?
- Your child must bring their appointment card / letter to the school office, prior to the appointment. If the appointment is after 10.30 your child should attend school first. Parents must collect their child and return them to school. No child should go home alone.
After school Activities and Detention
How can I check if my child is staying behind for an after school club or detention?
- Your child should inform you if they will be remaining in school after the end of the normal school day
- Students can be detained for up to an hour after school at the discretion of the teacher without prior notice
- Ring the school to check on the day and if at all possible we will confirm this
How much does the school lunch cost?
- The main meal deal costs £1.90
- Meals options are between £1.30 and £1.60
How does my child get a free lunch?
What is the correct school uniform?
- You can find our school uniform policy in the Parents section of our website and in your child’s planner
Where can I buy school uniform and PE kit?
- You can find our school uniform supplier in the Parents section of our website and in your child’s planner
How can you help with the cost of the uniform?
- We want all of our students to wear the correct uniform. Your enquiry will be dealt with sensitively and on a need to know basis
- If your child is an existing student please contact their Head of Learning
- If your child is about to join the school please discuss this at your admissions interview
How do you help my child if they are being bullied?
- At Forest Gate, we are committed to providing a caring, friendly and respectful environment in which all of our students feel safe. We do not accept bullying of any kind in school or around the school. A range of sanctions will be applied to those who bully.
- If bullying does occur, we expect all students who are victims or witnesses to report it immediately to a member of staff or use firstname.lastname@example.org. We will stop the bullying at the earliest opportunity and carry out an investigation. Victims of bullying will be supported by their year team and offered counselling, peer mentoring and activities to help them feel safe again. Where appropriate, bullies will apologise to their victim and bullies and their victims will be reconciled. Parents of the victim and bully will be informed of the incident and our response.
Where can my child collect lost property?
- Lost property is kept in the main office and your child should go there and ask.
- Please label all items with your child’s name and it will be returned to them.
How do I get my child into your school?
- The London Borough of Newham is the Admissions Body for Forest Gate Community School.
- For children moving from primary to secondary school see the information booklet from the London Borough of Newham in the Parents section of our website.
- For children of secondary school age moving during the school year (known as in year, mid phase or mid-term admissions) contact Newham Pupil services on 020 8430 2000 to request an application form.
How do I find out what is on and when?
- See our school calendar in the School section of our website.
- Upcoming events are also included in our parents’ newsletters.
When are parents’ evenings?
- All Years Parents' Information Evening: Wednesday 12 October 4:00-6:00pm
- Year 11 Parents’ Evening: Tuesday 17 January 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 10 Parents’ Evening: Wednesday 8 February 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 8 Parents' and Pathways Evening: Wednesday 1 March 4:30-7:30pm
- Year 9 Parents' Evening: Wednesday 15 March 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 7 Parents’ Evening: Wednesday 26 April 4:30-7:00pm
- Year 10 Parents' Information Evening - Preparing for Year 11: Wednesday 21 June
When are the school holidays?
- Eid-Ul-Adha: Monday 12 September
- Half term: Monday 24 October to Friday 28 October 2016
- Christmas break: Monday 19 December 2016 to Monday 2 January 2017
- Half term: Monday 13 February to Friday 17 February 2017
- Spring break: Monday 3 April to Monday 17 April 2017
- May Day: Monday 1 May 2017 - school closed
- Half term: Monday 29 May to Friday 2 June 2017
- Eid-Ul-Fitr: Tuesday 27 June 2017
- Summer break starts: Monday 24 July 2017
What do I do if I want my child to take a holiday during school term time?
- Requests for holidays in term time will not be authorised by the Headteacher. Government legislation makes it clear that “Headteachers may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.” A family holiday does not qualify as exceptional circumstances.